Entheogens (meaning: generating the divine within) are psychoactive plant substances traditionally used to communicate with the gods. Entheogens show us a world and experiences that are more complex and vivid than those we normally experience with our senses. During Ayahuasca workshops we can experience such multi-dimensional reality.
There is a correlation between the use of these plant substances and higher consciousness. Entheogens activate rarely tapped portion of our brains. Through them, we see our lives from a higher perspective and receive sensory information that normally only happens in a dream state.
When entheogens are used ceremoniously, they open new channels that inspire us to see life from the perspective of multiple realities and therefore, multiple possibilities. Many people make positive, lasting changes to their daily lives by attending entheogen rituals.
The use of entheogens in a ceremonial manner is part of traditional entheogen shamanism.
In entheogenic shamanism, druids, shamans, medicine men (and women) and the participants in their rituals all use magical plants or entheogenic plant substances to make contact with this transcendental reality. This is the world of spirits, gods, angels and deceased masters and shamans.
The most famous entheogenic agents used in the entheogenic shamanism are:
- Ayahuasca, a brew from the plants Banisteriopsis caapi and Chacruna.
- Anahuasca, a concoction made from the plant Peganum Harmala and Mimosa Hostillis or Peganum Harmala and Acacia Confusa. In the vision quest program, we call this Ayahuasca, because the psychological and spiritual effects are substantially the same.
- Theonanacatl; the sacred mushroom Mazatepec, the Golden Teacher, and others.
- The Tobacco plant.
- Iboga is the powdered root bark of the Iboga plant Tabernanthe from Africa.
- Santa Maria, the holy name for Marijuana.
- Peyote and San Pedro, the sacred cactus from Central and South America.
- Soma, the sacred drink made from Amanita muscaria, or the fly agaric mushroom.
Entheogenic shamanism is as old as the world and is also the basis of the human spiritual awakening happening today.